Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 1: And off to Mumbai

            Well, here I am. Months of semi-planning and worrying later, I am sitting in Washington Dulles International Airport, waiting for a flight to Newark, then Mumbai. I am traveling to the city not simply to visit family, as I have done innumerous times in the past, but to conduct research on the effectiveness of NGOs in helping women gain property rights in Mumbai. Well, that’s what I’m hoping to do, at least.
            Thanks to an undergraduate research grant from my university, the University of Virginia, I have this opportunity to indulge myself in a summer of studying a topic that interests me in a country that interests me, all for free! I will be traveling with a partner, Neil Desai, who is a rising third-year at the University of Virginia. My advisor on this project has been Professor John Echeverri-Gent, an inspiring advisor without whom I wouldn’t be here.
            I have fought hard to be able to go on this trip, but when it comes down to it, on the day I’m leaving, I’m scared. I’m scared I’ll get lost on the streets of Mumbai, being keenly aware of my poor sense of direction and hampered by the torrential rains of monsoon season. I’m scared I’ll speak Hindi in the garbled tongue of a foreigner, losing respect from locals. But most of all, I’m scared I’ll settle into complacency, repeating the sedentary habits of my past trips to India, allowing my relatives to lead me around and unthinkingly consume the food they offer me (fine under normal circumstances, but not this trip). I’m terrified that I will not accomplish the goals of my research project, and that I will squander the money given to me in good faith and trust by the grant foundation at UVA.
            When it comes down to it, all I’ve prepared is the topic of my research and a list of NGO addresses I want to visit and beg to help me tackle this project. My preliminary work to this point has consisted of rudimentary research on the topic, applying for numerous grants, working through grant restrictions and UVA’s research requirements, trying (and failing) to contact multiple NGOs, and then, finally, interviewing and selecting another partner to join me on my research trip. I’ve been so focused on the steps leading to this trip that now, when it finally comes to leaving, I’m extraordinarily nervous. Excitement has come in waves, and will return again, but fear remains with me as I set to depart. But in order to stay true to myself and my goals, let me make some vows:
  1. I vow to try my best to carry through the goals of my research project, but be flexible to change and modifications to my idea, as that is part of the research process.
  2. I vow to speak in Hindi as often as possible, even if that means embarrassing myself in the process. It is really the only way to learn and develop my language skills.
  3. I vow to ask for help whenever I have doubts. Whether that be asking about directions on the street or the focus of my project, I will not shrink from reaching out.
  4. I vow to spend time with and cherish my moments with family in India, but not let family time become the primary function of my trip. I have been entrusted with this opportunity, and I will follow through with my research goals.
  5. I will update this blog at least once a week. If not, you, friends and family, must keep me in line.

And with that, I’m off! Thank you to all my friends and family who have helped me prepare for this journey and wished me well before I leave today. Your support is appreciated more than you know. Goodbye America and Namaste, India!

1 comment: